2013 Wisconsin Act 270 establishes a uniform commercial building code in Wisconsin, while allowing municipalities to grandfather fire detection, prevention, and suppression ordinances that relate to the construction, alteration, or addition to a public building or building that is a place of employment.
Grandfathered Ordinances for Sturtevant
14.61 AUTOMATIC FIRE SPRINKLERS.
(2) INSTALLATION REQUIRED. Every building or structure hereafter constructed in the Village shall have an approved automatic sprinkler system installed and maintained when occupied in whole or in part for the following purposes:
(g) Nursing, convalescent, old age and other like institutional buildings. Throughout all nursing, convalescent, old age and other like institutional buildings.
(j) Hazardous properties. In buildings or structures the occupancy or use of which involves combustible, highly flammable or explosive material or that has characteristics that constitute a special fire hazard, including among others:
1. Aluminum powder factories.
2. Cellulose nitrate plastic factories.
3. Cereal mills.
5. Explosives and pyrotechnics manufacturing.
6. Floor and feed mills.
7 Gasoline bulk plants.
8. Grain elevators.
9. Lacquer and paint factories and paint shops, linseed oil and varnish works.
10. L.P.G. bulk plants.
11 . Mattress factories.
12. Waste paper plants.
13. Aircraft hangers.
14. Chemical works.
15. Linoleum and oil cloth, shade, cloth manufacturing.
16. Oil refineries.
17. Pytoxlin plastic manufacturing and processing.
18. Other occupancies involving the processing, mixing, storage, and dispensing of volatile liquids.
(3) APPLICATION TO EXISTING BUILDINGS.
Where the Village Fire Chief finds that existing buildings which are used in whole or in part for the purposes set forth in sub. (2) above and which constitute a severe fire hazard to its occupants or to the adjoining property, he/she may require compliance with the provisions of this section, by the approval of the Village Board. Appeals from the decision of the Village Fire Chief may be made to the Village Board as provided in this Code.
(a) Approved automatic fire sprinkler equipment shall be installed in accord with the current edition of Pamphlet #13, entitled "Standards for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems," other applicable standards of the National Fire Protection Association and §Comm 51.23, Wis. Admin. Code or other applicable state regulations, all of which are in effect at the time of installation.
(b) Required automatic sprinkler systems shall be designed and constructed in conformity with good established practice. Reinstallation of used sprinkler heads is prohibited and other secondhand devices may be installed only by special permission of the Village Board.
(5) EXEMPTION AND SUBSTITUTION OF OTHER FIRE PROTECTION EQUIPMENT.
Nothing contained herein shall be consulted as to require the installation of sprinklers in safe deposit or other vaults or in rooms or buildings devoted to the manufacture or storage of aluminum powder, calcium carbide, calcium phosphide, metallic sodium and potassium, quick lime, magnesium powder, sodium peroxide or like materials where the application of water may cause or increase combustion, nor in any other location where the installation of sprinklers may increase the hazard, or shall it be construed in any way to prohibit the substitution of other automatic protective equipment when approved by the Village Board.
Waunakee Corporate Office