2013 Wisconsin Act 270 establishes a uniform commercial building code in Wisconsin, while allowing municipalities to grandfather fire detection, prevention, and suppression ordinances that relate to the construction, alteration, or addition to a public building or building that is a place of employment.
Grandfathered Ordinances for West Allis
5.10. Fire Prevention Code.
(8) Fire Hydrant Requirements on Private Property .
(b) Where Required.
2. Fire Department standpipes.
a. Class 3 standpipes will be installed in any building, hereafter erected or structurally altered to increase the floor area by 50% or more, if three stories or more, ancljor new buildings, which, because of their occupancy, create special fire fighting problems. All standpipes will be installed per National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Codes and Standards 14. The number and location will be determined by the Chief of the Fire Department.
b. The installation of a sprinkler system will not supersede the requirements for the installation of Fire Department standpipes.
(15) Automatic Closing Devices.
(a) Where Installed.
1. Except on single and two family dwellings, there shall be an automatic closing device on all fire and smoke doors, except doors leading directly outside in all buildings, regardless of size.
2. On all fire shutters and vents.
3. Wired into fire alarm system where fire alarm system is required.
(b) How Installed. Per National Fire Protection Association standards and West Allis Fire Department requirements.
(16) Automatic Fire Sprinklers.
(b) Where Installed. Approved automatic fire sprinkler equipment shall be installed and maintained in all buildings, including the following: multi-family, commercial, office, industrial, institutional, governmental buildings and public buildings, in accordance with this paragraph.
2. Approved automatic fire sprinkler equipment shall be installed and maintained in the following accessory buildings and special principal building and building areas:
a. Garages as follows:
(i) Garages within, attached to, above or below other occupancies.
(ii) Garages used as passenger terminals.
e. Hospitals. Throughout all buildings regardless of construction type.
f. Nursing, Convalescent, Old Age and Other Similar Institutional Buildings. Throughout all nursing, convalescent, old age and other institutional buildings regardless of size and construction type.
i. Day Care Centers. All new construction regardless of size shall be completely sprinklered in accordance with National Fire Protection Association 13.
(g) Additions. Remodeled Buildings and Change of Use. All existing public buildings or places of employment, and all additions shalI conform to this section, as follows:
1. More than 50% remodeled or added. If more than 50% of the gross area of a building is remodeled and/or added, the entire building shall comply with the requirements of this section.
3. The percentage of a building remodeled or added from the date of passage of this Code shall be added together for each remodeling or addition to get the total percentages remodeled or added.
4. Any building with an existing sprinkler system, when making an addition, regardless of size or occupancy, will sprinkler the addition in accordance with National Fire Protection Association 13.
5. If the use of an existing building is changed to a new use, it shall comply with all aspects of this Code.